Baby Vaccination chart is a handy tool in the appearance of a cardboard sheet or a paper attached generally in the medical appointment file .This tool is pretty much alarming as it occupies a space at one’s desk or a refrigerator.
T for table , U for umbrella , V vaccine… (in our thoughts) and we generally stop there . V for vaccine was never a part of the plan though. We as parents are horrified with needles and pricks to the closest little one .
Our newborn is a world of happiness who brings in tears of joy and clicks worth sharing and cherishing till the last breath. The first moment is an everlasting still image our lens captures and stores in the memory . We aim to add more such happy moments and clicks to the media gallery of our brain . But such clicks can be interrupted with a sudden sense of protectiveness of the little one . More than capturing a priceless moment it is of utmost important for a parent to capture a tear-free moment.
Here is where guaranteed safety comes into the picture with the help of vaccination to your newborn , infant ,toddler ,preschooler, child in middle childhood age and young teens.
What is vaccination ?
Vaccination is the administration of vaccines . Vaccination is widely used, and one of the most effective ways to prevent many diseases. A baby vaccine helps your baby body’s immune system to recognize and fight pathogens like viruses or bacteria.It can protect against children from more than 25 life-threatening diseases and complications such as whooping cough, mumps, measles, Hib meningitis, pneumococcal disease, meningococcal disease, hepatitis, influenza, polio, typhoid and cervical cancer. Currently, significant numbers of children receive their vaccines on time and whereas about 20 million worldwide still miss out, which puts them at risk of serious diseases, death, disability.
Baby Vaccination Chart ,India
As per the recent guidelines that provide all vaccination details .This schedule for baby vaccination has been referred from the immunization schedule as reviewed by Indian Academy of Pediatrics (IAP) and Advisory Committee on Vaccines and Immunization Practices (ACVIP) for children aged 0 through 12 years based on recent evidence for the vaccines licensed in India.
Attention Parent : Hep B Birth dose (To be given at the place of delivery)
Whether your baby is healthy or weak, it is necessary to vaccinate him/her. If you delay or wait until your baby gets sick, it will be too late for the vaccine to work.
Hey Mommy , horrified looking at the long list ? These all are not pricks ,some are administered orally as well . Help yourself understand in depth with the Glossary table stating full forms of content tag and combinations used.
IPV – Injectable Polio Vaccine
OPV – Oral Polio Vaccine (oral polio drops, also given in “Pulse Polio Programme” in India )
BCG – Bacillus Calmette–Guérin vaccine against tuberculosis.
DPT / DTaP – Diphtheria, Pertussis, Tetanus Vaccine
HiB – Hemophilus Influenza B Vaccine
HepA – Hepatitis A
HepB – Hepatitis B
MMR – Measles, Mumps, Rubella Vaccine
PCV – Pneumococcal Vaccine
Varicella – Chicken Pox
Why Combination of vaccines does a fair job ?
Strength lies in unity , similarly for a combination vaccine .
They work well in pairs and provide immunity against the disease. Essential ones are listed below :
- DPT + Hepatitis B (quadrivalent vaccine)
- DPT + Hepatitis B + Hib vaccine (5 in 1 vaccine)
- DPT + HiB + Hep B + IPV
What is Immunization?
Immunization is followed by vaccination !
It is a process where a body undergoes changes after receiving the vaccine .During this phase the body is made immune or resistant to an infectious disease after administration of vaccine (the vaccination process) Immunization works by triggering or stimulating the immune system to fight against certain diseases
Is immunization necessary ?
Vaccinations not only protect your child from dangerous diseases but also it helps prevent the spread of disease and protect your baby and toddlers against dangerous complications.
For parents, one of the best ways to protect their children is to make sure they have all of their vaccinations.
- Immunizations can save your child’s life
- Vaccination is very safe and effective for your child’s health
- Immunization protects others you care about
- Immunizations can also save your time and money in future
- Immunization protects future generations
- Not all diseases have been eradicated
Things to Remember During Vaccination
- Keep a track of vaccination schedule , may you can glue the list at your desk or a kitchen refrigerator.Do not panic in case of a missed dose , your child’s pediatrician is the best choice to give you the solution . He/she may advise you a later date .
- During a scheduled dose if there is a spike in body temperature of your baby or fever for that matter , the baby vaccination even needs to be postponed. Seek advice from your healthcare provider.
- It is a great idea to discuss with the pediatrician as he may help you debunk a few myths associated with baby vaccination . Ensure to have a healthy discussion and get your queries resolved as your child’s immunity should be served best .
- Due to the entrance of a foreign body into your baby’s system it is very likely for the baby to experience some fever due to vaccination. This may or may not last for 1-3 days. Taking necessary medication or measure is advisable under the guidance of the pediatrician.
- Unity lies in strength , as for babies even the mom needs moral support . It is not a bad idea if you get your spouse ,friend or a family member along . To avoid the baby vaccination process look more of a movie scene ,the person can help you distract the baby with a toy or even a reward example, a chocolate or an ice cream.
Final Thoughts on Baby Vaccination
Children in their early age are highly susceptible to catching infections because children have not developed a strong immunity yet which is necessary to fight against infection-causing microorganisms. This is a basic reason which makes them more often to fall ill with allergies and infections.
A safe and healthy child can continue listening to a fairy tale you wished to convey with a message from your past learning and experiences. This can be an easy task possible after adhering to the baby vaccination schedule .
The page here is a reference for you to have an idea and get acquainted with the possible dangers your child could face if not vaccinated . That was just to keep you awake as parenthood comes in with loads of roles
A few points of consideration on baby vaccination chart :
- The price list is general and approximate , this may vary in the month you visit
- Vaccine price varies from brand to brand ,hence asking the price at the reception counter is best advisable
- The regular fees of your pediatrician in addition to the vaccine for that scheduled appointment needs to be clarified
- The vaccination chart/file with name of vaccine and date needs to be carried for every scheduled appointment.
For much such shares Do follow
Firstcry-Read on parenting – https://parenting.firstcry.com/
Firstcry Vaccination schedule/tracker – https://parenting.firstcry.com/vaccine-immunization-schedule