Population demographics in India displays nearly 1.37 billion people to which 230 million are expected to be added by 2050 . Birth rate in India is 51 (new birth) per min while the death rate in India is nearly 19 per min .These approximate statistics indicate association to a loss of a life. How difficult it is for a couple to face a phase of a moment turned nightmare !
Newborn As per the WHO , Three important factors required for maternal and newborn survival are labour , birth and postnatal care. However it is not surprising to know that the middle and the lower class fall prey to either of the factors due to lack of optimum care during such critical times.
Newborn is a term used for babies upto 2 months of age and Newborn care after delivery is a subject surrounded with traditional operations. In this article you will get acquainted with the following :
Definition of newborn care
As per the medical dictionary, newborn care is classified under the nursing intervention classification . It is a nursing intervention defined as management of the neonate during the transition to extrauterine life and the subsequent period of stabilization.
Extrauterine :occurring outside the uterus
Stabilization : process of making something more stable
Newborn care after delivery is classified as
- Immediately after birth under the examination of a healthcare practitioner
- Newborn care post discharge under the examination of a mother
Purpose of immediate newborn care is primarily:
- To enhance the bonding between the mother and her baby.
- To examine and track the transition of the newborns life from intrauterine to the extrauterine environment so that the best and safest environment is provided during the course of hospital stay
This purpose can be met by a skilled attendant who can care for both baby and mother
Newborn Care immediately after birth
Newborns ,who start breathing on their own, by a minute after birth includes the following
Internal environments make the newborn wet post delivery. Drying the baby is critical, as the baby can lose considerable body heat with the process .The nurse may place the newborn on the mother’s skin while drying the skin, thereby enhancing the bonding process as well as to allow the mother’s body heat to warm the little one. Once dry, the infant is wrapped in several warm receiving blankets and may be placed at the mother’s breast for an initial breastfeeding. If the mother will not be breastfeeding, she may choose to hold the newborn at this point.
A cap placed on the head once it has been dried helps to maintain temperature of baby’s body
An oxygen from a mask may be placed near the mouth while the infant is being dried off to increase the initial intake of oxygen .
2.Cord clamping and cutting after the first minutes after birth
Shortly after delivery, the umbilical cord is clamped and then cut. After clamping, the cord will be checked , the baby hence must breathe and function independently from the mother.
3.Early initiation of breastfeeding and exclusive breastfeeding
During the first hour after birth, the neonate is very alert. He or she may be interested in nursing, or may spend time just gazing at the mother . The initial breastfeeding establishes and encourages the neonate’s ability to coordinate breathing, sucking and swallowing actions.
Normal Weight of a Newborn Baby
The birth weight and length of the newborn is recorded and entered into the patient file. The average weight of a newborn is 7.5 pounds (3.4 kg), with a normal range of 5.5 to 8.5 (2.5-3.8 kg).
The average length of the newborn is 20-21 inches (50-53 cm) long.
Newborn care basics, after the first hour of life
- Identification band on the neonate’s hands and feet is included
- An ID band with the same number is tied to mother’s wrist same as that of a baby
- An intramuscular (IM) injection of vitamin K to the neonate is administered
- An antibacterial eye ointment into both eyes is administered
- A nurse generally recommends vaccines (birth dose of OPV and Hepatitis B vaccine)
- A Special care is provided for sick newborns, those who are preterm and/or low birth weight, and those who are exposed or infected by HIV or have congenital syphilis.
Newborn Care Tips
Before leaving the hospital, the parents or a close friend who is always there around to boost confidence should ideally ask about home visits by a nurse or health care worker as and when needed. Many new parents appreciate somebody checking in with them and their baby a few days after coming home. Since most mothers are breastfeeding ,it is always a great idea to keep contact details of a lactation consultant handy.
Home calling for a the newly born baby brings in infectious smiles to grandparents ,pets , neighbors and relatives. A wonderful cradle keeps waiting for the baby while the walls are decorated and the lamps are lit as a ritual . However , each step that is undertaken in the house may prove to be a susceptible environment to your newborn.
Find out how ?
The mother and baby travels from a hospital setup to a home-setup :
As the infant’s immune system is not highly developed, they are more susceptible to infection due to mode of transport , air as a medium for travel and the residential condition .
Hence it is of utmost importance that health and hygine of the house is upto mark ,similar to a hospital setup ,so that there are minimal chances of the baby to fall ill.
Keeping this few tips in mind as precautinary measure can turn your day truly memorable and exciting when your baby arrives home. Keeping every corner germ-free becomes a hygiene factor and a ritual in your schedule to maintain the hygienic ecosystem around the little one.
Homebased Newborn Care
- Avoid relatives and friends for at-least 10-15 days post discharge .This is a harsh reality and a promising ritual .
- Have a basket in each room – A basket is really handy for keeping baby’s things and it lets you save space and clean fast.
- Keep household cleaning products handy – Make sure that all adults at home knows where the disinfectant or a sanitizer is.
- Get beyond your naked eyes– Try to get a microscopic view of the floor and materials around view you may see a few harmful residues which were not visible to your naked eye.
- Wash your hands frequently – Irrespective of season, wash your hands before preparing a formula for your baby, wash your hands before bathing your baby, changing your baby’s clothes. .
- Stay away from your baby – It is normal for you to catch a cold which can spread to your baby as well. Stay away from your baby if you are sick or have a runny nose. Wear latex gloves or thoroughly wash hands during handling your baby for feeding
- Keep baby diapers in a dry place – All things that remain in place without being disturbed for some days, mold and fungi thrive on them. They can cause itchiness to your baby’s skin.
- Making the house pest and germ free – The care of a baby also includes keeping the house completely clean and tidy. In addition to flying mosquitoes and flies that spread disease, oil pests, germs, fungi and other bacterial-borne infections can spread to your home.
- Be careful about your baby’s clothes – Wash your hands before handling your baby and take hygiene precautions to keep your home clean. Similar precautions should be taken with baby clothes and toys. Baby clothes should not be washed with the rest of your washcloth. Baby clothes and other things should be washed separately with fabric softener and mild anti-bacterial detergent.
How to take care of a Newborn Baby, a further guide !
When is my baby’s first doctor’s visit should be a question popping up without any hesitation ! How would a mother know what she is supposed to know . Ask about what vaccines your baby needs and when.
Since 1992, the American Academy of Pediatrics has recommended that infants be placed to sleep on their backs to reduce the risk of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS), also called crib death. SIDS is the sudden and unexplained death of a baby under 1 year of age. Even though there is no way to know which babies might die of SIDS, there are some things that you can do to make your baby safer.
Newborn Baby Vaccination Chart With Price
Infants and young children need vaccines because the diseases they protect against can strike at an early age and can be very dangerous in childhood. This includes rare diseases and more common ones, such as the flu.
For Further Understanding refer to Baby Vaccination Chart
Reading during your pregnancy can prepare you for a practical phase of your life . During your hospital stay, you have to make sure to ask the nurses for help with basic baby care. Don’t hesitate to ask the nurse to show you how to hold baby and feed ,various positions of holding baby or even wearing a diaper! Before and after discharge, make sure you and the baby’s father acquaint yourselves with
- Handling a newborn, including supporting your baby’s neck
- Changing your baby’s diaper
- Bathing ,Dressing and Swaddling your newborn
- Feeding and burping your baby
- Taking a newborn’s temperature
- Tips for soothing your baby
To Further read on Baby Diapers Online click here and to purchase the same refer to these 3 amazing sites